History

Mount Bundy Station was one of the first pastoral leases in the Top End of the Northern Territory.

Est in 1911 the original property was 834 square miles. With its boundaries located within both, the now world famous, Litchfield and Kakadu National Parks.

The first lessee were brothers Frank and Hubert Fred Hardy, colourful and infamous Buffallo hunters. The property was abundant with wild buffalo that had bred up on the floodplains of the Adelaide River and Mary River. Hardy led a tough life hunting buffalo on horseback with a team of aboriginal stockmen and women and processed the buffalo for the lucrative hide market in Europe. Fred Hardy was tragically killed in a horse race on the property in 1940 at the age of 59yrs. He is buried on a hill overlooking his beloved Mt Bundy station.

 

WR Grace and Co, an American company arrived in the late 1960's and developed the property into one of the bigger cattle enterprises of its time. This was successful until the late 1980's when the stockmarket crashed and the Top End suffered a major buffalo and wild cattle cull due to bovine Tuberculosis carried by the buffalo and wild pigs. At its peak the property of 1.1 million acres was carrying around 30,000 Buffallo and 20,000 Brahman cattle.

Since this time the property has seen many changes and is now much smaller and offers tourists a glimpse into the past of a grand old cattle property. Memorabilia of this time can be seen on your visit to Mt Bundy station.

www.doug-and-dusty.id.au/bundy/mtbundyhistory

Enjoy a tour of Mt Bundy here

 

The Bombing of Darwin in 1942 by the Japanese saw a military change to the property as the forces withdrew to Adelaide River as the frontline of defence during World War II. The American navy developed a signalling site to warn of incoming submarines and the Australians and Americans based their airforce at Mt Bundy station with numerous hidden airfields repairing the damaged Bombers. Remnants of this war history remain and can be viewed on the property.

Visit www.adelaideriverwargraves.com for further information.

The property went through a few owners after the war who developed with the fledgling cattle industry through the 50's and 60's.